Chia Seeds are grains harvested from chia plants. Chia is mainly grown in Latin America where it thrives off the fertile soils and warm climate found in this region. Highly nutritious, chia is high in both fibre and protein whilst also containing other supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. This is probably why chia was so important to ancient civilizations like the Aztecs, who used this seed as one of the main components of their diet.
• High in both protein and fibre.
• Mild nutty flavour and a black/grey appearance.
• Small, flat, oval kernels.
• Very good source of protein for vegan products.
• Used as a topping (salads, soups), include in yoghurts, or in sauces as a thickener.
• Also can be used to improve the nutritional profile of a finished product.