Citric Acid occurs naturally in citrus fruits but synthetic versions are also produced from a type of mould. First produced in Italy at an industrial scale at the start of the 19th century, citric acid is now mainly produced in China, parts of Europe and the USA. Health benefits of citric acid include energy metabolism, the absorption of minerals, and the prevention or treatment of kidney stones.
• Helps to regulate acidity and functions as an antioxidant.
• Odourless and helps retain colour.
• Has a sour taste.
• Can be used to prevent mould or bacteria growth in bakery products.
• Suitable for use as an acidity regulator to increase the acidity of a dough.
• Commonly used as a flavouring and preservative in food and beverages such as soft drinks and bakery products.
• Helps thicken foods or give them a slightly sour flavour.
• 30-80 Mesh.